Businesses in Distington Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Distington

Distington main street copyright Google MapsDistington's historic village is just the main street, with the rest of the village being new housing. It had two 19th century public halls named Victoria and Albert. Coal was once mined in the area. A tool manufactory was in the village as well as a curiosity museum. A school was built in 1754 and another, a red sandstone one, was built in 1878, and still another was built in 1886.

Distington Church of Holy Spirit courtesy Alexander P KappThe 1886 church, Holy Spirit, is located on a hillside and looks over the village and surrounding countryside. The church has a nave, chancel, and south porch. There are several stained glass windows. The 17th century chancel arch of a previous church is in the churchyard. The village also built, in the 1830s, a Wesleyan chapel and a primitive Methodist chapel.

Distington war memorial courtesy H StamperHalf a mile south are the remains of Hayes Castle, a single tower 22 metres square. It was the manor house of the lords of Distington and the residence of the Moresby family. Only the north wall of the pele tower still stands but gives an indication of its size and thickness, being 1.4 metres thick. It was surrounded by a moat 6 metres wide. It was ruined by 1600, and by the early 1800s only the present part of the north wall and a few foundations remained. Hay Castle farm provides a bed and breakfast.

Photos courtesy Google Maps , Alexander P Kapp , H Stamper

Distington is three miles south of Workington.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.