Businesses in Drumburgh Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Drumburgh

(See also Drumburgh Castle , Drumburgh Moss Nature Reserve)

Drumburgh village east end courtesy Rose and Trev CloughThe village of Drumburgh sits on the coast of the Solway Firth, where the Drumburgh Moss Nature Reserve is located south of the village. Part of the remains of Hadrian's Wall were found here along with part of a Roman fort.

Drumburgh castle, created by Thomas, lord Dacre, is a 16th century building of purloined Roman stones. The original building on the site was constructed in 1307 and Drumburgh castle courtesy John Tustindecayed in the early 15th century. By 1593 it was repaired and housed a bailiff. By `678 it was ruinous and in 1696 it changed hands again and was altered. It was not until the 1970s that it was restored and much rebuilt. It is a private residence.

Photos courtesy of Rose and Trev Clough , John Tustin The Geograph British Isles Project

Drumburgh is in Allerdale, eight miles west north-west of Carlisle.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.