|Businesses in Eskdale Green||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
(See also Eskdale)
Located in scenic Eskdale, the village of Eskdale Green is a popular stop along the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway line. Once packhorse trails and drover roads went through the valley. The Romans came this way from Hardknott Fort.
In the village are a number of guesthouses, a stone built inn, and a post office and village shop. The school holds an art show each June. The church of St Bega was built in 1890 and is named after the patron saint of bees.
Eskdale Green is a convenient stopover for walks in Eskdale valley. A popular one is the Eskdale Green Round. Miterdale Forest, north of the village, is laced with paths. In Giggle Alley Forest, a former Japanese water-garden retains bamboo thickets, Japanese maples, and azaleas.
Close by Eskdale Green is an Outward Bound Mountain School. Its country house, built in 1896, offers accommodation for walkers and climbers as well as challenging courses. A fete is held each August in the grounds, once the Gatehouse Estate. The gardens were planted in 1901 by landscape architect Thomas Mawson. There still remain some specimen trees, shrubs, and water cascades.
Eskdale Green is set in an enchanting and quiet valley of western Cumbria where deer and red squirrel roam. The Mite and the Esk rivers add to the scenic mix. The valley's lack of ‘tourist attractions’ lends it an authentic and peaceful air. Outdoor attractions are everywhere.
Eskdale Green is on a minor road east of Ravenglass (A595).
© 1997 - 2013 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.