March 7, 2014
|Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Farlam is a small village on the slopes of the Pennine mountains. Below is the Eden valley. Its name was once spelled Farleham. There are farms in the area. There was a manor house here in 1603. The manor was granted by Hubert de Vaux, the lord of Gilsland, to Walter de Windsor and later the family became known as the Farlams. The Multons of the barony of Gilsland became heirs to the property in Edward III’s reign.
St Thomas á Becket, a stone church, was constructed in 1860 in the early English style and designed by Anthony Salvin. It sits in a large graveyard surrounded by trees. It has a double bellcote, nave, chancel, and north aisle. There is a three light east window and another of Queen Victoria. An earlier church, built c1169, belonged to Lanercost priory, then to Thomas Dacre.
Farlam is located off the A689, south-east of Brampton near Talkin Tarn.
© 1997 - 2014 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.