Businesses in Finsthwaite Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Finsthwaite

(See also Stott Park bobbin mill)

Stott Park Bobbin Mill by Barbara BallardThe small village of Finsthwaite is located near Stott Park bobbin mill, built 1834, due to its easy access to water power and its surrounding oak, birch, and hazel woods. Many of the homes are white-washed or grey stone cottages from that time.

In the small village is the slate and sandstone church of St Peter designed by Paley and Austin and constructed in St Peters Church Finsthwaite by Alexander Kapp1873-4. The site chosen was that of a church built around 1724. The church was built with no aisle, and a tower vault divides the church from the chancel. There are good quality stained glass windows in the church. A cross in the churchyard is thought to mark the grave of a daughter of Bonnie Prince Charlie and his mistress.

Between the village and Windermere and the Langdale fells from Holbeck Ghyll By Tony RichardsNewby Bridge is a path leading up to Finsthwaite Height. It goes through the woods (bird watchers will spot coal tits and long-tailed tits) and leads to a viewpoint over Windermere. The 1799 tower up here is dedicated to men of the royal navy.

Photos by Barbara Ballard and courtesy of Tony Richards , Alexander Kapp The Geograph British Isles Project

Finsthwaite is located one mile north of Newby Bridge on a minor road off the A5092.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.