Businesses in Gamblesby Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Gamblesby

Gamblesby Church courtesy Barbara BallardGamblesby has a tiny green surrounded by 18th century red sandstone buildings. This small farming community, sitting under the Hartside escarpment, once played host to John Wesley, founder of Methodism. He built a chapel here in 1784, which was replaced in 1864. Another church, St John, was built in 1868 in the late 13th century style. It is now redundant.

Photo by Barbara Ballard

Gamblesby is on a minor road off the A686, between Penrith and Alston.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.