Businesses in Glenridding Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Glenridding

(See also Ullswater)

Glenridding main road through village courtesy of Graeme DougalSitting on the southwestern shore of Ullswater, Glenridding luxuriates in its scenic views. Its name is purported to mean ‘glen overgrown with bracken’.

A group of Dutchmen discovered lead ore here in the 1650's, and mining began about 50 years later. However, it was the mid-1700's before full production swung into action, building to its height by 1825. Glenridding Mining Sculpture outside TIC courtesy of Graeme DougalSilver was a by-product of the lead. Tarns were dammed to provide power for the waterwheels. Two floods occurred in the village as a result of dams breaking. In 1962 the Greenside Lead Mines Company closed, and the mining areas were landscaped. A walk leads up Glenridding beck to the mine buildings, one of which is now a youth hostel.

Glenridding shops and beck courtesy of Graeme DougalThere are a number of shops, eating spots, and a pub to serve the many tourists who visit the area, most to take a cruise of Ullswater on one of the historic steamers that dock at the village pier.

Glenridding, embraced on three sides by the fells, is a perfect spot for walkers to begin their ascents of Fairfield, Place Fell, and Helvellyn. A walk from Glenridding to Howtown takes in the scene that Wordsworth wrote about in his famous Ode to the Daffodils in 1802:

“. . . A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze. . .”

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal

Glenridding is located on the A592 southwest of Penrith.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.