November 23, 2017

Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Great Musgrave

Great Musgrave Village and Pennines courtesy of Graeme DougalGreat Musgrave sits atop a hill near the river Eden and Swindale Beck. Its location provides views over the vale of Eden and the nearby northern Pennines. The village name comes from the Musgrave family who lived here.

The stone church of St Theobald, on the edge of the village, dates from 1845-46, but two earlier churches (the first dating back to the 12th century) stood nearby.Great Musgrave St Theobalds Church 1845 courtesy of Graeme Dougal Unfortunately they were placed too close to the river and were subject to floodingin 1822 the water was three feet deep in the church.

Leading up to the present church with its slate roof is a row of horse chestnut trees. The square church tower contains two bells. The interior has one small stained glass window, a 13th century coffin lid, a brass of a priest dated 1500 and carved heads on the roof beam corbels above the windows.

Great Musgrave St Theobalds Church interior courtesy of Graeme DougalThe church has an annual rush bearing ceremony on the first Saturday in July. Girls wear garlands of flowers, and boys carry rush crosses in a procession through the village and to the church where a service of praise and thanksgiving is then held.

Little Musgrave is a twin village on the far side of the river Eden.

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal

Great Musgrave is off the B6259, two miles south-west of Brough.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.