November 22, 2017

Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Greysouthen

Greysouthen village by Barbara BallardGreysouthen was once a coal mining village for the Windy Hill colliery, hence the miners’ cottages still surviving. A valuable seam of coal was known as the camel band. Southward is Allerdale farmland. In the center of the village is a building known as the Mansion, now turned into flats. Surrounded by stone walls, it was once the main home for a 17th century farm.

Greysouthen house by Barbara BallardThere is a village hall. In 1833 a Wesleyan chapel was built here, and the Quakers had a meeting house and burial ground nearby. The village is home to a Ceilidh band. Greysouthen was known as Crakesothen in old documents.

Bird watchers in the area can see a large number of species including lapwing, snipe, curlew, woodpigeon, buzzard, oystercatcher, pheasant, and sparrowhawk. Orange tip, red admiral, and painted lady butterflies can be spotted.

Photos by Barbara Ballard

Greysouthen is located on a minor road off the A595, three miles west of Cockermouth.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.