Businesses in Hartley Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Hartley

Hartley Cumbria Castle mound courtesy Susan ColmanHartleys main claim to fame lies in the history of its castle site. Hartley Castle was built in the 13th century and was home to Sir Andrew de Harcala, a soldier serving Edward II. He later became Earl of Carlisle. His fortunes changed when Robert the Bruce invaded the north, and de Harcala was accused of treason, then executed in 1325. The house was crenellated by its new owner in 1353, and in 1615 two wings were added. Later abandoned, the halls stone was used to build a manor house in Edenhall. The present late 18th early 19th century house now occupying the site is set in the outer court of the former hall. It is privately owned and serves as a farm house.

Hartley Cumbria Coast to Coast Walk courtesy Susan ColmanHartley Crafts and Tea Shop at the end of the village is a welcome break for walkers on the Coast to Coast walk which crosses over Hartley Becks bridge. The path leads up to the Nine Standards, which are nine cairns high on the fell, reputed to have been constructed by the Roman army to look like troops from a distance.

Near the attractive village is a working quarry.

Thanks to Susan Colman, a village resident, for the photographs and some of the information.

Hartley is ½ mile from Kirkby Stephen.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.