Businesses in Haverthwaite Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Haverthwaite

(See also Lakeside , The Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway)

Haverthwaite cottages and street by Graeme DougalHaverthwaite, with its stone cottages, sits beside the river Leven. Its a terminus for the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway, originally built as a part of the Furness line in 1869 to connect with the steamers on Windermere. Steam and diesel locomotives still ply a 3½ mile run to Lakeside from the station during tourist season.

Haverthwaite Anglers Arms by Graeme DougalArthur Ransome spent his last days in the village at Hill Top cottage (not to be confused with Beatrix Potters home of the same name.)

In 1849 a gunpowder works, Low Wood, was established in the village. The river was used to transport the finished product. The former buildings now house craft and artisan shops.

Haverthwaite St. Annes Church by Graeme DougalThe village church, St Annes, with its light and bright plain interior and square parapeted tower was constructed in the 1820s.

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal



Haverthwaite is on the A590 south of Newby Bridge.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.