|Businesses in Hayton (Brampton)||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
The small village of Hayton is sited near Brampton. Its name means hay farm and refers to the former farming in the area. The village school has been in use since 1818 and retains some original features. The village also has a shop and a pub, the Stone Inn.
St Mary Magdalene church was built in 1780. The iron rood screen dates from that time. The church has a five-bayed nave with arched keyed-in windows and a small square west tower built in 1780. In 1842 a chancel was added. In the church are a number of memorials to the Graham family of Edmond Castle; also still surviving is their raised family pew. An 800-year-old font and hand carved pulpit are other attractions.
Edmond Castle, a mile from the village, is thought to date from earlier than the 17th century. However, the present building, a private home, dates from 1824-29 and was designed by Robert Smirke.
Photos courtesy Andy Wallace
Hayton (Brampton) is on a minor road off the A69 south-west of Brampton.
© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.