Businesses in Helton Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Helton

(See also Moor Divock)

Helton cottages by Graeme DougalHeltons name was once Helton-Flecket in order to differentiate it from Helton Beacon (Hilton) near Appleby. The tiny hamlet of Heltonhead is nearby.

The small village has a green and many old cottages, some dating to the 1600s. A Wesleyan chapel was established in 1867.

The open fells above Helton are covered with ancient cairns, cop stones, standing stones and stone circles including the large Moor Divock collection.Helton Wesleyan Chapel 1867 by Graeme Dougal

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal




Helton is located on a minor road south of Askham, west of the A6 from Lowther.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.