|Businesses in High Hesket||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
High Hesket is a small group of houses, a school, an inn, and a church strung along the A6 road north of Penrith.
St Marys church is made up of varying features from different centuries. The arched windows of the nave date from 1720, while the east and north aisles are from Victorian times. The chancel arch is 13th / 14th century. Features include a 17th century double bellcote and 18th century west porch. Bodies of people who died from the plague were sent here from Carlisle for burial; the church was built on the site as a direct result. A mausoleum of the Parker family lies in the churchyard.
Farming is the main occupation in the surrounding countryside. A nearby 100-acre lake, Wadling tarn, is a carp fishing site. A castle, Hewin, once lay on the north-east shore, but its remains have vanished. It was supposedly a stronghold of Swaine, a Cumberland king. Viking arms were discovered near the village inn.
Photo courtesy of Steve Bulman
High Hesket is 8 miles south-east of Carlisle on the A6.
© 1997 - 2014 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.