Businesses in Houghton Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Houghton

Houghton is a small village close to Carlisle. In the village are a village hall, a school, a garden centre, and a couple of shops. A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was constructed in 1893. Houghton Hall and Houghton House were two grand homes built in the area. Hadrian's Wall once ran through the area but there are no remains.

Houghton Church courtesy of Steve Bullman Images of Cumbria St John the Evangelist church, dating from 1840, is in cream coloured stone from Dalston quarries. The chancel is short with lancet nave windows. The church has a west altar and tower and seat about 285 people. In the late 1900s the original pews were removed and replaced with green stained seats. At the same time the roof was panelled with pitch-pine and the windows replaced. The east one was made of green glass and others were plain leaded with patterns. The floor was also re-laid in black and white marble and the walls of the aisles decorated. A west doorway was added. The font is carved Caen stone with red marble pillars.

Photos courtesy of Steve Bullman

Houghton is a small hamlet just off the M6, about 2.5 miles north-east of Carlisle.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.