Businesses in Hutton Roof (Kirkby Lonsdale) Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Hutton Roof (Kirkby Lonsdale)

(See also Hutton Roof Crags Nature Reserve)

Hutton Roof street by TheButlerThe village of Hutton Roof sits under the limestone pavement of Hutton Roof Crags.

In 1850 a Wesleyan chapel was built in the village. St John's church was constructed in 1881 at the northern end of the village on the site of a 13th century church. Architects Paley Hutton Roof Weslyan Chapel byTheButlerand Austin used local sandstone from a nearby quarry. Theodore Bayley Hardy, who was the vicar of Hutton Roof from 1913 to 1918, had the distinction of being the most decorated non-combatant in the first world war.

Hutton Roof St Johns church tower by TheButlerA bronze age site is located near the village.

Photos by TheButler




Hutton Roof is on a minor road off the A65 from Kirkby Lonsdale.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.