Businesses in Ings Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Ings

Ings parish hall courtesy Chris DownerIngs is a small village just a short distance on the A591 from the town of Windermere. The river Gowan meanders in the area. There are a number of country walks close by. A nearby caravan park provides holiday accommodation.

The local pub, the Watermill Inn, was awarded the Campaign for Real Ale Cumbria Pub of the Ings St Anne Church courtesy Bill HendersonYear 2009. It has won numerous other awards.

The village church, St Anne, was built in 1743, and its architecture reflects the style of the time. Of note are the carvings of the reredos, pulpit, and lectern. The chancel floor is of Italian marble. It was funded by Robert Bateman, once a local, who became a wealthy merchant. The east window of the church represents the transfiguration.

A school was endowed in the village in 1655.

Photos courtesy of Chris Downer, Bill Henderson The Geograph British Isles Project

Ings is on the A591 a short distance southeast of Windermere.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.