|Businesses in Ireleth||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
The village of Ireleth, on the banks of the river Duddon, was once the site of a packhorse turnpike road. Todays inhabitants can, like those in the past, enjoy the views over the Duddon sands to Millom. The route across the sands was used before the development of overland roads. The village name comes from Ire, a Norse name and leth, the Norse word for a slope. The village is now almost a part of Askam in Furness, a former busy iron ore mining area.
A school built in the 1600s was subsequently used as a chapel as no church as such existed in the village. In the mid 1800s the village grew due to the iron workings, and a new school and new church, St Peters, were built in 1865. The church has a small porch and bell tower. The village was the site of Ireleth Old Hall and a flour mill.
Near the village is a hamlet called Paradise and also a 17th century house on the site of the farm known as Marsh Grange. It was the birthplace of Margaret Askew, the wife of George Fox who founded the Quakers. The wings of the former William and Mary house are decayed, and a 19th century house now occupies the middle of the building.
Many birds, mammals, insects, and plants are at home in the area. Birds include barnacle geese, mallard, tufted duck, and great crested grebe.
Ireleth is located on the A595, five miles north of Barrow-in-Furness and close by Askam in Furness.
© 1997 - 2015 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.