|Businesses in Irton with Santon||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Irton with Santon
(See also Santon Bridge)
Irton with Stanton, between the river Irt and the river Mite, is close by Holmrook. It is an amalgamation of Santon, Hall Santon, and Santon Bridge.
St Pauls church, sitting on a hill, was built on the site of an earlier church. Views from the church take in the western Lakeland fells. It dates from 1856-7 and has a nave, chancel and three storey tower. In the church are Victorian wall banners, a painted iron screen, and windows with four panels by Sir Edward Burne-Jones. The churchyard is the site of the 1000-year-old red sandstone Irton Cross decorated with celtic designs.
Photos courtesy of Neil Ralley
Irton with Santon is located off the A595 on Cumbrias west coast.
© 1997 - 2013 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.