Businesses in Johnby Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Johnby

Johnby courtesy of John Holmes Johnby is a small hamlet in Eden, most noted historically for nearby Johnby Hall to the south.

Johnby Hall, constructed of pink sandstone rubble with a green slate roof, began as a 14th century fortified two storey tower house. During the ensuing centuries, right up through the 19th, it was altered and renovated. A 15th century tower joined onto the original 14th century one. A kitchen wing was added in the 17th century. A wing, located at the east end of the south front, has a spiral staircase with an umbrella vault at the top.

Johnby Hall courtesy of John HolmesInscribed on a door lintel is WM CM 1637, standing for William Musgrave and his wife Catherine. There are a number of surviving two and three light stone mullioned windows. Vaulted cellars, newel staircases and stone arched fireplaces survive in the building interior. Outbuildings were also added over the centuries, including a stable block and coach house in the late 1600s. In the early 20th century, the owner, Mrs Leburn Popham, modernised the hall. It is in private ownership and can only be viewed from the road.

Photos courtesy of John Holmes The Geograph British Isles project.

Johnby is located on a minor road west of Penrith and north of the A66.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.