|Businesses in Kirkby Thore||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Kirkby Thore lies in the Eden valley near Appleby-in-Westmorland. The name Kirkby mean village by a church. Thore is a Viking name, Thor being the god of thunder.
A Roman calvary camp, Bravoniacum, was situated at this spot. It guarded the Stainmore gap and was on the Maiden Way Roman road that lead to Carvoran (Magna) just south of Hadrians Wall. Thirteen inscribed Roman stones, thought to be altar stones, were found here as well as three Roman tombstones. Urns, earthen vessels, the cusp of a spear, and sandals were found in an ancient well. In the building of a bridge in 1838 Roman coins were unearthed.
St Michael, a red sandstone church, dates back to the Normans. The chancel was enlarged in the 13th century. The nave, chancel (except for one window) and the rectangular west tower survive from Norman times. From the 14th century are windows, the porch and north aisle. The octagonal font dates from 1688 while the pulpit is dated 1631. Shap abbey is the assumed contributor of the large bell, it being brought here when the abbey was dissolved.
In 1910 a mill was constructed in Kirkby Thore to develop plasters. The plant continues in operation.
The village, near the confluence of the Eden and Troutbeck rivers, offers pleasant views across the Eden Valley.
Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal
Kirkby Thore is off the A66 four miles north-west of Appleby-in-Westmorland.
© 1997 - 2014 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.