Businesses in Lamplugh Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Lamplugh

Lamplugh house by Barbara BallardIron mining took place near Lamplugh, a village of widely separated houses on the western edge of the Lake District. Its ancient Irish inhabitants named it Glan-Flough or Glan-Fillough, meaning “a wet dale”.

The manor was owned by William de Lamplugh, baron of Kendal. Lamplugh view by Barbara BallardLamplugh Hall is now an 1812 farmhouse built from the remains of a 15th century tower house. A connected Elizabethan house burned in the late 1700s. There was a 1595 shield on the old house, but it was destroyed. A replica is now in place.

Lamplugh church by Barbara BallardSt Michael’s church, located on a former chapel site, was restored in 1768 and essentially rebuilt in 1870 by William Butterfield. There is one 15th century window. Three other windows are from 1891-1910 and were made in the Kempe workshop. One has white and gold angels wings as the background. There is a two-storey chancel arch that has an earlier Perpendicular arch in it. In the church is a monument of 1731.

Cogra Moss reservoir is near the minor road that runs from Lamplugh to Croasdale and Ennerdale.

Photos by Barbara Ballard

Lamplugh is located on a minor road just east of the A5086, south of Cockermouth.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.