Businesses in Lanercost Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Lanercost

(See also Lanercost Priory)

Lanercost school by Google MapsLanercost village sits in the river Irthing valley near Hadrians wall. Its claim to fame is Lanercost Priory, south of the village. The villagers were often besieged by the Scots during the late 13th century and early 14th.

The church of the former priory now serves as the village parish church and is dedicated to St Mary Magdalene. Lanercost Priory by Alexander P KappIts west front dates from about 1200. Sir Edward Burne-Jones designed three stained glass windows in the north aisle. In the grounds are stone coffins and monuments.

A music festival takes place in the priory grounds each summer.

Photos courtesy of Alexander P Kapp , Google Maps.

Lanercost is located 2.5 miles north-east of Brampton.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.