|Businesses in Levens||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
(See also Levens Hall)
Overlooking the Lyth Valley and the lower part of the River Kent, Levens, once known as Beathwaite Green, was listed as Lefuenes in the Domesday Book. It's an attractive small village that has won the “Best Kept Village” award on more than one occasion.
Levens has a pub, the Hare and Hound, a few stores, a post office, and a church.
St John the Evangelist church dates from 1828 and was built in the late Georgian style. From a distance its octagonal spired bell turret marks the site of the village. The Howard family of Levens Hall funded the construction of the church after a disagreement with the Heversham parish vicar.
In the late 18th century a Methodist chapel was built at Levens, but the building now serves as private residences.The current village institute hall was once a hay barn, then became a men's reading room in the early 1900's. Another old building in the area is the 16th century Nether Levens farm on the River Kent banks. Its open hall, large fireplace, and great chimney attest to its age.
Visitors come to the area mainly to visit nearby Levens Hall and its famous topiary garden. The Cumbrian Cycleway is nearby.
350 million years ago a warm shallow sea covered the plain where Levens now sits. Over the centuries fossils laid down a long ridge of limestone, now called Scout Scar. The village is a quiet spot for a Cumbrian holiday.
Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal , John Dawson
Levens is 4 miles south of Kendal off the A6 - A590.
© 1997 - 2016 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.