Businesses in Lindal in Furness Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Lindal in Furness

Lindal in Furness Village Green by Graeme DougalThe ancient agricultural village of Lindal, with its tree fringed green, was a grange of Furness Abbey in 1220. Its name appropriately means valley where lime-trees grow'.

The Parliamentarians and the Royalists engaged in a minor skirmish here in 1643. In the 19th and 20th centuries iron was mined in the area. Thus railway lines and open pits characterize some of the surrounding land.

Lindal in Furness The Anchor by Graeme Dougal St Peters church sits by the village green. A candle making factory in the village allows visitors a peek from a viewing gallery.

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal

Lindal in Furness St Peters Church by Graeme Dougal Lindal in Furness School by Graeme Dougal

Lindal is one mile north-east of Dalton-in-Furness on the A590.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.