Businesses in Lindale Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Lindale

Lindale village street by Graeme DougalLindale sits on the slopes of Hampsfield Fell near the Winster river. To the north, Newton Fell offers views.

The church of St Paul was rebuilt and enlarged in 1828. In the village centre is a pub.

Lindale St Pauls Church by Graeme DougalJohn Wilkinson, an ironmaster lived at nearby Castle Head, a mansion once housing St Marys college. In the 1700s he and his father, Isaac, began an iron industry in the village.

John built the iron bridge over the river Severn in Coalbrookdale. A memorial to him sits at the crossroads on the way to Grange.

Lindale Inn by Graeme DougalPrehistoric and Roman artifacts were found nearby and are thought to be part of an Anglo-Saxon hoard.

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal



Lindale is two miles north of Grange-over-Sands off the A590.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.