Businesses in Lorton (High and Low) Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Lorton (High and Low)

(See also Buttermere)

High Lorton houses by Barbara BallardLorton is actually two separate villages, High and Low, that meld together. Low lies in the vale of Lorton, a farming valley, formed by the river Cocker, while High is further up near the end of the Whinlatter pass. The Roman road from Papcastle ran through High Lorton before going up Whinlatter pass.

Lorton is a typical village of the Cumbrian countryside and has houses dating from 300 to 150 years in age. Yew Tree Hall was once part of Jennings brewery. Lorton Hall, which dates from 1663, was built around a 15th century pele tower. It played host to Charles II. High Lorton view by Barbara BallardOther famous visitors to the village included John Wesley, who preached here between 1152-1761, and George Fox, founder of the Quakers.

In High Lorton is a 1000 year old yew tree, referred to by Wordsworth in ‘Yew Trees’..

“There is a Yew-tree, pride of Lorton Vale, Which to this day stands single, in the midst Of its own darkness, as it stood of yore---”

High Lorton houses by Barbara BallardThe village hall in High Lorton is named after the tree.

In the village is the church of St Cuthbert, built in the 1800s. It has a short chancel, tower and a stained glass window made by the German company Mayer of Munich Germany. Heraldry is found on its corbels, pews, and pulpit. The church was the scene of the marriage of Mary Robinson, the “beauty of Buttermere” in 1802.

High Lorton by Barbara BallardLorton Hall in Low Lorton dates from 1663 and was built around a 15th century pele tower. It has priest holes, oak panelling, and Carolingian and Jacobean furniture. Its most famous guest was Charles II.

Location Map of High and Low Lorton
Lorton is located four miles (6km) south-east of Cockermouth. Low Lorton is on the B5289 while High Lorton is on the B5292 at the edge of Whinlatter Pass.

High Lorton byBarbara BallardPhotos by Barbara Ballard

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.