Businesses in Lowick Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Lowick

Lowick Street courtesy of Graeme DougalAt the southern end of Coniston Water, Lowick is a township made up of the hamlets of Lowick, Lowick Green and Lowick Bridge beside the River Crake (an outlet of Coniston Water).

The manor of Lowick was originally owned by William de Lancaster, 5th baron of Kendal, then it became the property of Robert de Turribus during the reign of Henry II. Subsequently it Lowick Hall courtesy of Graeme Dougalpassed through several owners until it reached the Blencowe family whose amorial bearings are depicted in the window of St. Luke's Church, sitting on its own away from the village. The church, built of local rubble and possessing a tower, is an 1844/45 rebuilding of an 1818 one. Records indicate a chapel existed at the same spot prior to 1577.

Lowick St Lukes Church courtesy of Graeme DougalA village inn, the Black Bull (no longer in operation) dates from the 1600s. Another, the Red Lion, played host to children's author Arthur Ransome (Swallows and Amazons). In his autobiography he mentions the inn: “. . .drank our second pint in the Red Lion at Lowick Bridge.” He spent part of his adult life at Lowick Hall.

In September each year an agricultural show is held at Church Field by Lowick Lowick Red Lion courtesy of Graeme DougalBridge. It's a traditional Cumberland happening with cattle, sheep, goats, horses, home crafts, and the activities of fell running, hound trails, and wrestling.

The Cumbria Way walk passes through the village. Surrounded by a landscape of farms and fells, Lowick is a typical Lake District village reflecting its glorious rural setting.

Lowick St Lukes Church distance shot courtesy of Graeme Dougal

Lowick Shows www.lowickshow.co.uk

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal



Lowick is on a minor road off the A5092/A5084 near the southern tip of Coniston Water and 7 miles north of Ulverston.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.