November 17, 2017

Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Lowther

(See also Lowther Castle , Lakeland Bird of Prey Centre)

Lowther village courtesy Google MapsThe original Lowther village, home to the Lowther family from 1283, fell to Sir John Lowther's ideas of improvement in the 1680's when he demolished it and built a new estate village, Lowther New Town. A hall, church, parsonage and 17 cottages were destroyed. Then, in the early 1800's, a third Lowther village was constructed, leaving behind remnants of the past.

Lowther St Michaels Church and Mausoleum by Alexander P KappSt Michael's Church, standing opposite Lowther Castle, contains memorials to the Lowther family. Although the church dates from the 12th-13th centuries, most of the building is renovated Victorian. A Viking tombstone is an important relic located in the church porch.

A mausoleum to the second earl, William, stands in the churchyard.

Photos courtesy Alexander P Kapp , Google Maps.

Lowther is 4 miles south of Penrith.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.