Businesses in Milburn Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Milburn

Milburn and green byBarbarb BallardMilburns roots as a fortified medieval village show in its sandstone houses arranged around a 4.5 acre rectangular green. The green was only open at its four corners, making it easy for defensive purposes as well as useful for penning in sheep. A 40 foot high maypole decorates the green. Great Dunn Fell, on the village doorstep was another protection against Scottish raiders.

Milburn St Cuthberts Church by TheButlerThe nave and chancel of St Cuthbert church are Norman while the south aisle is 14th century. 17th century panelling decorates the area behind the altar.

Nearby Howgill Castle (really a house) was built by John de Lancaster in 1354. It served as a farmhouse from 1780 until 1851, fell into decay, was restored in 1967 and is currently serving once again as a private residence.Milburn house by Barbara Ballard

The farming community is known for its strong easterly wind, called a helm (hilltop). As air rises on the Pennine slopes, it becomes cool and the helm forms near Cross Fell, then races down the western slopes. Alternating currents of warm and cool air cause the winds to blow.

Photos by Barbara Ballard , TheButler

Milburn is on a minor road off the A66 east of Penrith.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.