Businesses in Milnthorpe Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Milnthorpe

(See also Heron Corn Mill)

Milnthorpe market square courtesy of TheButlerFrom 1334 Milnthorpe, a part of South Westmorland, was a busy market town and port on the River Bela. Explosives and gunpowder were shipped from Sizergh down the river to the estuary. When the Kent railway viaduct was built, it closed the shipping corridor to the town, and the estuary silted up. Watermills also made use of the river and gave the town the first part of its name.

From the mid-1700's to the mid-1800's was a busy and Milnthorpe Cross Keys Hotel courtesy of TheButleraffluent era for Milnthorpe. A turnpike road was constructed through the village and the centre of town (now a conservation area) experienced a building boom. Today, an old coaching inn, the Cross Keys, is a modern hotel.

The church of St Thomas, overlooking the market square, was built in the 1800's and was the first in the town. Previously Milnthorpe was part of the parish of Heversham.

Milnthorp St Tomas church courtesy of TheButlerIndustries such as canning, comb making, printing, and coach building brought employment to the town. A butcher sells fellbred meat products: lamb, beef, duck and more. Artists and craftspeople inhabit the area, and nearby is the Heron Corn Mill.

Milnthorpe sits in a slight valley with low hills on either side. It's still a busy little town with the A6 that leads to Kendal running through it.

Photos by of TheButler

Milnthorpe is on the A6 Arnside cross roads.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.