|Businesses in Moor Row||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Moor Row is a residential community situated between Whitehaven and Egremont on Cumbria's coastal plain. The history of Moor Row goes back to at least 1762, but it was the 19th century discovery of iron ore in the vicinity that built the ‘row of houses on a moor’. Cornish tin miners moved here to work the mines, and their presence is noted in a number of street names such as Penzance Street. One street, Dalzell, is named after Thomas Henry Dalzell, a mine owner.
The village name probably refers to the Scalegill street houses, which are noted on a 1860 OS map. The 1859 homes on Dalzell Street are thought to be the oldest of the terraced rows. The village has grown in the 20th century, adding modern suburban homes to the mixture.
Moor Row's Montreal Mines produced 250,000 tons a year, the largest of any mine in the Whitehaven or Furness district. The mine property covered 1000 acres, half of which was ore bearing. Both open pit and shaft mining took place. Between 1000 to 1200 people were employed locally in the industry.
A railway shunting yard was built in the village, bringing further jobs and prosperity to the inhabitants. It became western Cumbria's most important junction and goods yard until the end of World War II when trucks and the motorways brought about the decline of the railroads in the UK. By the late 1970s the railroad was closed and is now part of both the national coast to coast walk and cycleway.
Westlakes Science and Technology Park is a local employer today.
Photos courtesy of Sean Duffy
Moor Row is located on a minor road off the A595 south of Whitehaven.
© 1997 - 2015 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.