Businesses in Mosedale Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Mosedale

Mosedale village by Toby SpeightMosedale origin's are Norse and date from AD 900. Its name comes from the Norse word, “nosi”, for peat moss. Most of the valley to the east of Mosedale contains peat bogs that were the site of a lake thousands of years past.

Tiny Mosedale has a 1702 Quaker meeting house with Tuscan sandstone columns and panelling. Open during the summer months, it presents historical information.Mosedale Friends Meeting House By Graeme Dougal

Nearby, on the summit of volcanic Carrock Fell, are the remains of an oval shaped Celtic hillfort, the largest in Cumbria. A few of the stones are still in place. It is thought the Romans destroyed it.

Wasdale and Bowscale are adjacent fells. Wordsworth wrote about the two “talking” fish in Bowscale Tarn, resulting in it becoming a popular Victorian tourist site.

Mosedale view By Graeme Dougal Up the left side of the Mosedale valley behind Bowscale Farm, a large wagon tract once led to the tarn.

A narrow road leads from the hamlet of Mosedale, follows the River Caldew up the Mosedale valley, and ends at the former Carrock tungsten mine. Lead, copper and small amounts of gold were mined here. The Cumbrian Way footpath winds through the area.

Mosedale is best known for the fells surrounding it.

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal , Toby Speight

Mosedale is located a mile north of Mungrisdale, 8 miles northeast of Keswick, off A66.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.