Businesses in Newlands (Keswick) Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Newlands (Keswick)

Newlands valley by Michael GrahamNewlands is a hamlet west of Derwentwater, south of Portinscale, and just by Skelgill. Newlands beck runs nearby. Causey Pike and the Derwent Fells provide walks in the area.

Newlands chapel is on the same site as an original chapel dating from the 1500s. The church was in disrepair by 1843 and was rebuilt over a number of years and reopened in 1885. A schoolroom was built in 1877 at one end of the church. It was restored in 2000 and is now a place for prayer. Newlands Church by New DiscoveriesThe stained glass window in the east dates from 1845, time of the rebuilding. A south stained glass window is a memorial to a WWI soldier. In the church is a table and pulpit from the early 1600s along with 17th century wainscoting. Services are currently held in the church, and tea is served on Sunday afternoons.

Wordsworth wrote about the church in his poem To May:

How delicate the leafy veil
Through which yon house of God
Gleams mis the peace of this deep dale
By few but shepherds trod

Note: There is another Newlands hamlet on a minor road by the Caldew river. It is just north-east of Hesket Newmarket.

Photos courtesy of Michael Graham , New Discoveries.

South from Portinscale on minor road.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.