Businesses in Newton Reigny Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Newton Reigny

(See also Newton Reigny Nature Reserve)

Newton Reigny is named after the de Reigny family, who were the owners of this area in the 12th century and actively participated in the raids against Scotland. The earl of Lonsdales family took over as owners in the 13th century.

Newton Reigny St John Church courtesy Steve BulmanThe village is home to St Johns church. It was built in 1876 with 12th and 13th century interior parts surviving: a three bay south arcade with round piers, piscinas, a chancel arch, and octagonal piers in the north arcade. The window is modern. Opposite the church is a longhouse consisting of a barn, living quarters, and a byreall under one roof, as was the custom. The Sun Inn dates from the 17th century.

The area is well known for its racing stables. Before the enclosure of Penrith fell (1812) local parishioners grazed their sheep freely on the surrounding acreage. A .3 ha Wildlife Trust nature reserve (Site of Special Scientific Interest) is located here, but permission is needed to visit. The reserve is wet with many ditches.

Photos courtesy of Steve Bulman

Newton Reigny is located 2.5 miles north-west of Penrith on a minor road off the B5288.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.