Businesses in Old Hutton Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Old Hutton

(See also New Hutton)

Old Hutton is a small hamlet once linked to New Hutton. It became a place in its own right in 1297 when the two were separated. Wool from local sheep was sent to market, while food for the table was grown locally. The village has a public hall and school.

Old Hutton St John Baptist church by Matthew EmmotThe small village church, St John the Baptist, was built in 1873, but it was not the first church in the village; it replaced other former ones. It has an apse, an asymmetrical bell-turret, and three stained glass windows.

Blease (Bleaze) Hall is a listed building near the village. The four storey north wing was built c1450 and was home to a chantry priest. In the 1600s Roger Bateman, whose money derived from cloth manufacturing in Kendal (he sold Kendal green cloth used for soldiers' Bleaze Hall courtesy Savillsuniforms), extended the building creating an H-shaped hall. His son, Henry, the owner of a pack-horse train business, continued work on the hall. In 1636 a dobbie stone was brought to the house and now hangs from the rafters. It supposedly brings bad luck if it is removed from the house. There are brasses to family members in the Kendal church.

The hall eventually became a farmhouse with much of the mansion removed to build outbuildings. A fire destroyed the south wing. The hall has stone mullioned windows and its iron window bars still exist. An original studded door from the south wing now serves the opening between the dining room and rear hall. One room was oak panelled with an oak fireplace. Other features are a plasterwork ceiling and frieze in the drawing room, beams, and flagged floors. Ancient coins and a dagger were found behind the wainscoting and are in the Kendal museum.

Photos courtesy of Matthew Emmot and Savills

Old Hutton is on the B6254 three miles south-east of Kendal.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.