Businesses in Patterdale Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Patterdale

Patterdale Village courtesy of Graeme DougalCradled by mountains, Patterdale sits in its valley among some of Lakeland's finest scenery.

With the heights of Helvellyn via Striding Edge and St Sunday Crag just a breath away, the village is a popular starting point for walkers. The C2C walk passes the village and heads across Goldrill Bridge.

Patterdale Bridge over Goldrill Beck courtesy of Graeme DougalThe Patterdale Mountain Rescue Team has a handy base in the village.

Patterdale has a church, a post office/store, an inn, and a hotel. In the 1800's, the inn was a convenient resting place for horses and people before tackling the Kirkstone Pass over the mountains.

It is said St Patrick visited Patterdale about AD540, hence the name-Patterdale Mountain Rescue Centre courtesy of Graeme Dougalcorrupted from Patrick's dale to Patterdale. The local church is also named for him. St Patrick's with its saddleback roof and tower dates from 1853 and replaced a 14th century chapel damaged by storms. Built by Victorian architect, Anthony Salvin, who worked on Windsor Castle and the Tower of London Jewel House, it's small in size.

Before visiting the church interior guests are asked to obey the sign that reads ‘Helvellyn praises God, but please do not bring it into church on your boots.’ Patterdale St Patrick's Church courtesy of Graeme DougalIn the church are several well-known tapestries by Ann Macbeth, who lived in the village from 1921-48 and stayed part of the time in Wordsworth's cottage. One of her tapestries depicts the music for Jerusalem and the view from the cottage.

The churchyard was graced by two ancient yew trees, unfortunately destroyed by high winds in 1883. A mile north of the village is St Patrick's holy well where he is said to have performed baptisms. The well was believed to heal those suffering from illness.

Patterdale St Patrick's Church quilt courtesy of Graeme DougalIn the countryside nearby is 17th century Deepdale Hall, a grade II listed farmhouse, now a B&B. It was part of the Duke of Norfolk's estate when built and was used as a court. Another 17th century home in the area, Patterdale Hall, also a Salvin work, was the home of the Mounsey family. In 1648 they received the name ‘Kings of Patterdale’ after their brave foray at Stybarrow Crag against a group of Scottish raiders. Another 17th century farmhouse, Greenbank Farm, and a 17th century cottage, Lower Grisedale Lodge, are reminders of early farming in Patterdale.

Patterdale St Patrick's Church courtesy of Graeme DougalPatterdale Dog Day is held each year in August at nearby Watermillock. Sheepdog trials, sheep shearing, and hound trailing are some of the country activities pursued.

At the head of Ullswater just north of the Kirkstone Pass, Patterdale, strung along the valley floor in an amphitheatre of mountains, rewards the visitor with magical scenery.

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal

Patterdale is on the A592 between Penrith and Windermere, near Glenridding.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.