Businesses in Pennington Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Pennington

Pennington by Alexander P KappThe small hamlet of Pennington is located on the outskirts of Ulverston. It is a spread out cluster of houses and also serves the farms in the area. The hamlet grew up as a result of the iron industry which brought miners to the area. The industry began its decline around 1880. Near the hamlet is the beginning of the Haematite and Cumbrian Way footpaths.

Pennington St Michael and The Holy Angels by Andrew HenwoodSt Michael and the Holy Angels church serves the hamlet. It was constructed in 1826 and took the place of a former church on the site. In 1926 the church was extended. In the church is a Norman tympanum inscribed with a medieval fertility goddess and a runic inscription that refers to the founder of the church and the mason who worked on the church. It confirms the building of the church foundation at 1170. The tympanum has the figure of Christ with raised hands. The tympanum survived because it was buried in the east wall of the church until the extension. In the church porch is a Norman scallop capital. Also in the church is an old font. There are many old headstones in the graveyard. The church is open for services.

Pennington Castle Hill Pennington by Matthew EmmottThe church builder, Gamel de Pennington lived at Pennington castle one half mile distant (only earthworks now remain). His successors moved to Muncaster castle and still live there.

The church is on the Pennington/Loppergarth side of the A590 along the road from Cross-a-moor.

Photos courtesy Alexander P Kapp , Andrew Henwood , Matthew Emmott

Pennington is two miles south-west of Ulverston.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.