Businesses in Penruddock Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Penruddock

Penruddock cottages courtesy of Graeme DougalPenruddock originated in Celtic times. While the origin of its name is not certain, it is known that Pen is a Celtic name for ‘hill’ and ‘rhuddawc’ mean red in Welsh. Soil in the vicinity is reddish in colour. The name probably evolved through a number of languages to its present form.

Penruddock All Saints Church courtesy of Graeme DougalAll Saints Church was constructed in 1902. Its windows are Late Perpendicular in style. The slate-roofed Penruddock Presbyterian Chapel, in late Georgian style, dates from c1789 and replaced an earlier building. It was renovated in 1864, and a porch was added. Its windows are round, and its walls are rendered.

Penruddock Post office courtesy of Graeme DougalA post office and a pub complete the village picture.

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal


Penruddock is 5.5 miles west of Penrith on the A66.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.