|Businesses in Plumpton (Penrith)||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Plumptons homes take advantage of the river Petteril, along which many are sited. Trout fishing is a popular pastime.
North of the village is Voreda, a former Roman fort in use from the time of Hadrian's wall until the 4th century. In medieval times the area was a hunting ground for deer. A grammar school was founded in the mid-1700s.
The church of St John the Evangelist with its pele-like tower, dates from 1907. Henry Holiday, a devotee of the Lake District and stained glass designer, did one of the windows in the church.
There is an institute for outdoor learning in the former Plumpton Hall, a farming manor house.
Note: There are two villages by this name in Cumbria, the one above and one on a dead-end road on Morecambe Bay just outside Ulverston.
Plumpton is located 4 miles north of Penrith on the B6413.
© 1997 - 2015 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.