|Businesses in Raughton Head||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
(See also Rose Castle)
Raughton Head is a hamlet with a collection of farmhouses sitting between the Caldew river and Roe beck in Cumbrias north-west.
Its name comes from the Raugh rivulet.
A division of the Young Farmers Association is located in the village as is a church of England school. The church, All Saints, is a restoration of 1761. The large, square west tower has a neo-Norman topping constructed in 1881. The windows are round-headed with the east Venetian one having been altered at the same time as the topping was added.
Nearby, across the river Caldew is Rose Castle, the palace of the bishops of Carlisle. It is not open to the public.
Photos courtesy of Alexander P Kapp
Raughton Head is located on a minor road six miles south of Carlisle and west of the B5299.
© 1997 - 2014 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.