|Businesses in Rowrah||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Rowrah village is a collection of houses along the roadside. On the edge of the village is Rowrah Hall, built in 1722 and now a privately owned home.
The area was populated due to the limestone quarry, dating from 1888, and iron mines in the region. A railroad, the Rowrah and Kelton Fell Mineral Railway, long closed, served the quarries and mines. The rail track was removed, and a cycle and walk way took its place. One of the disused quarries serves as a karting race track.
In the village is an 1895 Wesleyan chapel. In 1896 a reading room was established.
Photos courtesy of John Lord The Geograph British Isles project.
Rowrah is located .5 mile from Arlecdon.
© 1997 - 2013 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.