|Businesses in Sandwith||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Sandwith and Sandwith Newtown sit on a minor road with St Bees Head and a light house between the villages and the sea. A YHA camp barn is also located here.
A RSPB reserve lies just south. Razorbill, black guillimot, puffin, and rock samphire can be spotted.
One of the land owners in the 1800s was the earl of Lonsdale. Sheep were grazed on the marsh land. A school was constructed in 1804. Sandwith was part of the parish of St Bees. Anhydrite was mined from the mid 1700s to mid 1800s.
There are two pubs and accommodation establishments in Sandwith. A local farm grows organic produce.
Sandwith and Sandwith Newton are two miles south of Whitehaven on a minor road off the B5345.
© 1997 - 2014 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.