Businesses in Satterthwaite Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Satterthwaite

Satterthwaite Andrew King FlickrSatterthwaite is a village of approximately 50 houses and is located in Grizedale Forest. The area was probably settled by the 10th century. Its name comes from the Old Norse with saetr meaning a summer pasture and thveit meaning an isolated piece of land or clearing.

The area became the property of Furness Abbey in 1163 and thus farmsteads, tithe barns, and granges came to Satterthwaite parish. The abbey monks set up iron working sites in the surrounding woods. In 1537 when the abbey ceased the local farmers took control of the land.Grizedale Forest Bill Wakefield Flickr Forges and iron and charcoal making were prevalent during the Industrial Revolution. After the demise of these industries in the late 1700s, sheep farming, slate quarrying and bobbin mills provided employment for the locals.

In the 1800s local landholders began the planting of many trees in the Grizedale Forest. Continued planting took place as late as the 1950s.

Satterthwaite All Saints Church Shaun Taylor FlickrIn the village is All Saints church built in the Early English style in 1837 and located on the site of a 1577 chapel. The church was changed in 1888 when the gallery was taken down and the roof and windows were altered. More alterations and rebuilding took place in 1914 when the square tower with one bell was added.

There is a community hall called the Parish Room in the village as well as a pub, the Eagles Head.

Photos courtesy © Andrew King , Bill Wakefield , Shaun Taylor

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.