Businesses in Sedbergh Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Sedbergh

(See also Farfield Mill)

Howgill Fells courtesy Sedbergh school websiteSedbergh is an anomaly. Still in the Yorkshire Dales National Park, it was politically part of Yorkshire until 1974, when it was placed in Cumbria.

Surrounded by the Howgill Fells, this former market town's narrow cobbled main street is lined with shops. Its location where four rivers meet made it a natural for early civilizations and the development of a market from the 13th century. Sheep grazing on local hillsides provided wool for the five mills (in production until 1992), the main source of employment for the village.

Sedbergh church courtesy school websiteBoth the 12th century Norman church of St Andrews (restored in 1886) and the 14th century chemist's shop (seen on BBC's “House Detectives”) attest to the age of the village. St Andrews has a five light stained glass window and a tower with a ring of eight bells.

There is evidence of more ancient settlers in Sedbergh. The Romans, Saxons, and Vikings left behind their architectural clues. A motte and bailey castle, Castlehow, protected the town from Scottish raiders.

Sedbergh school courtesy school websiteSedbergh is probably best known for its chantry school, once attended by William Wordsworth's son. It was founded in 1525 by Roger Lupton to increase the “learning in Christ's church and for his soul's health”. Yearly, six students from the school were offered scholarships at St John's College, Cambridge. The school had many ups and downs over the years, and, in 1875, became an independent school. From that time much expansion and building took place, and the school is now an active and thriving public school.

Brigflatts courtesy Bill Samuel Quaker websiteThe tiny hamlet of Brigflatts, two miles south of Sedbergh was a former centre for the Quaker faith, and one of the oldest Quaker meeting houses in England, built in 1675, lies here. Founder of the Quaker movement, George Fox, preached in the area.

Farfield, a nearby hamlet, provides a base for exploring the local area, replete with its red squirrels, badgers, ravens, and peregrine. Footpaths surround the village and vary from riverside ambles to fell walks on the Howgills. The Cumbrian Cycleway is accessible from Sedbergh.

Sedbergh bridge courtesy school websiteIsolated by the rolling Howgill Fells until the advent of the railroad in 1861 (closed 104 years later), Sedbergh, in its once secluded valley, is a relaxing holiday spot, a gateway to Yorkshire Dales National Park and the beauty of Cumbria.

Photos courtesy of Sedbergh Public School , Bill Samuel , George Fox's autobiography See chapter 6 for the Sedbergh connection.

Sedbergh is 9 miles east of Kendal and 5 miles east of M6 Jct. 37

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.