Businesses in Selside Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Selside

(See also Kendal)

Selside cottages courtesy of Graeme DougalSelside is a scattering of fellside farms and houses near the River Sprint. This area was an agricultural one for many centuries, and the buildings reflect that past. A 14th century pele tower in the village was converted into an Elizabethan farmhouse, Selside Hall. It was the home of a Catholic family in the 18th century.

Selside St Thomas Church courtesy of Graeme DougalSt Thomas Church, on the edge of the hamlet near Selside Hall, was built in 1838, and a broad tower was added in 1894. It makes up part of the interior nave. The church isn't the first on the site. There was a chapel here a hundred years earlier that was built in a burial ground.

The hamlet was known as Selside-with-Whitwell and was part of the parish of Kendal. A free school, endowed in Selside St Thomas Church courtesy of Graeme Dougal1730, was rebuilt in 1793 and renovated in 1831. Whiteside was a large common in Selside but, in 1825, it was enclosed.

Selside sits just inside the Lake District National Park boundary in an attractive rural area.

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal


Selside is 4.5 miles north of Kendal off the A6.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.