Businesses in Skirwith Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Skirwith

Skirwith Church by Barbara BallardSkirwith lies in the Eden valley near Cross Fell. The village spans the small Skirwith beck as it makes its way through dairy and beef farmland. Blencarn beck skirts the village by the hall. There was a manorial building here, but it was dismantled in 1795. An abbey house was thought to belong to the Knights Templars at one point. A school was built in the village in 1878. A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was constructed in 1868.

Skirwith church closeup by Barbara BallardSt John the Evangelist is a stone church erected in 1859 in the Decorated Gothic style. It consists of a nave, south aisle, chancel, tower, and spire. Stone from Lazonby was used to decorate it and make the tower. The pulpit and font are of Caen stone. The windows are stained glass.


Photos by Barbara Ballard

Skirwith is located on a minor road east of the B6412 and seven miles north-east of Penrith.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.