Businesses in Soulby (Kirkby Stephen) Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Soulby (Kirkby Stephen)

Soulby bridge, beck and village courtesy of Graeme DougalThe village of Soulby, with its three acre green, is near the River Eden and Smardale Beck. The commons were enclosed in 1810. A three arched bridge was built in 1819. Cattle and sheep fairs were once held in the village.

A chapel of ease, St Lukes, is a single chamber chapel built by Sir Philip Musgrave in 1662-3. The round-headed south doorway has late medieval moulding. There is a bell turret.Soulby Wesleyan Chapel 1983 courtesy of Graeme Dougal

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal




Soulby is located on a minor road northwest of Kirkby Stephen (A685)

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.