Businesses in Swarthmoor Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Swarthmoor

(See also Swarthmoor Hall , Ulverston)

Swarthmoor HallSwarthmoors name comes from its location on the edge of the moor of the same name. Swarth means black.

The village, once part of Lancashire, has a dubious claim to fame, having served as a campground for Lambert Simnel, pretender to the throne, and his army in 1487 on their way to eventual defeat in June.

More peacefully, it was home to men who worked in the Lindal Moor mines sited nearby. The village pub, the Miners Arms, takes it name from the mines. The two storey stone church was built c1882. It also served as a club for working men and as a reading room.

Swarthmoor Hall, in the village, sheltered Quaker George Fox.

Photo by TheButler

Swarthmoor is located one mile south-west of Ulverston in south Lakeland on the A590.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.