Businesses in Temple Sowerby Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Temple Sowerby

(See also Acorn Bank Mill , Winderwath Garden)

Temple Sowerby courtesy Temple Sowerby House HotelTemple Sowerby, at the foot of the fells, boasts the nickname the “Queen of Westmorland Villages”. Its actual name came from the Knights Templar when they were granted the manor of Temple Sowerby c1228. Passing to the Knights Hospitaller in 1308, it was then seized in 1545 by Henry VIII, who granted the manor of Temple Sowerby to Thomas Dalton. The red sandstone manor house, built partly in the 16th century, then added to in the 18th century, belongs to the National Trust. It is now known as Acorn Bank.

Temple Sowerby cottage near the village hall by Humphrey BoltonThe village, sited on a former important Roman road, has a small sloping green with streets and houses around it. Look for the Roman milestone ½ mile southeast of the village. Mid-16th century rubble-and-thatch buildings intermingle with 18th and 19th century buildings. A hotel, with the same name as the village, was built in 1727 as a farmhouse that was later married to a 19th century wing.

Temple Sowerby victory memorial hall by David RogersThe homes are a reminder of the village's importance as a stopping place along the Penrith to Darlington turnpike. The location encouraged trading, especially of cattle and sheep, and four fairs were held each year. The growth of tanning as an industry resulted. As in much of Cumbria, stone quarrying, and later gypsum quarrying, provided employment. Tradesman such as cabinetmakers and shirt makers moved to the village.

Temple Sowerby St James Church by David RogersThe church of St James was built in 1754. Additions and renovations include an aisle in 1770, a tower in 1807 and a chancel and arcade in 1873. John Wesley is rumoured to have preached from a boulder by the door of the Wesleyan Chapel.

A maypole opposite the hotel was the site of village celebrations. Tradition says a competition where the best liar was awarded a grindstone was won one year by a bishop who said he never told a lie.Acorn Bank Mill by Mick Garratt

The mill on the Acorn Bank Estate dates from the early 19th century. It was derelict until restored by the National Trust. At one time there were three waterwheels 12 foot in diameter and four pairs of millstones. The Crowdundle Beck water provided power to drive the waterwheels that mostly ground oats.

Acorn Bank Herb Garden and Dovecote by Mick Garratt17th century Acorn Bank Garden's claim to fame are its medicinal and culinary plants, the largest collection in northern England. More than 250 varieties are grown in a walled garden. Baneberry, blackroot, wild indigo, tansy, borage, and elacampane are among the varieties. Also on the 2-½ acre site are two orchards with rare and regional fruit trees, and a wild garden with daffodils and wood anemones. Shrubs, roses, and herbaceous plants make up borders. Oak trees grace the acreage, and there is a giant sequoia, planted at the time of the tree's first introduction from America. Walks wend their way through woodlands and down to the mill.

Temple Sowerby cottages by John LordNorthwest of Temple Sowerby a 16th century bridge crosses the River Eden. Cross Fell, the highest peak in the Pennines, looks down on the attractive village, sited at the confluence of the River Eden and Crowdundle Beck.

Photos courtesy of Temple Sowerby House Hotel and Humphrey Bolton , David Rogers , Mick Garratt , John Lord The Geograph Britain and Ireland project

Temple Sowerby is located on the A66.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.